Spotlight on Finland
Finland works. That’s why we are the happiest people in the world*. Year after year, the country ranks as a world leader in education, gender equality, innovation, technology, games, governance, clean air, etc. Finland works for us – and for you if you like.
*Finland was voted no. 1 in the UN’s 2018 World Happiness Report.
PARTNER WITH FINLAND FOR:
- Transparent and reliable funding sources.
- Multi-lingual, creative and tech-savvy crews.
- World famous brands, both old and new, from “Moomins” to “Gigglebug” and much more.
- A strong story-telling tradition rooted in a love of Nordic masters.
- Productions that stay on schedule.
25% CASH REBATE
- Launched 1 Jan. 2017.
- Applies to animated series, features and documentaries.
Animated television series must have a minimum budget of €5,500 / per minute and a minimum Finnish spend of €250,000. For features, the minimum total budget is €2,5 million with a minimum Finnish spend of €150,000. For documentaries with animated elements, the scheme applies to projects with a minimum budget of €325,000 and a minimum Finnish spend of €50,000.
FINNISH FILM FOUNDATION
- International co-productions are eligible for support when a Finnish co-producer is involved, there is distribution and some form of creative and/or technical work done in Finland.
- Additionally, the Foundation supports around 8-10 minority co-productions each year with a budget of about €1 million. There are no fixed deadlines and no spend requirements for the support. Nor is it recoupable.
YLE (THE FINNISH BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Most co-productions are done with Finnish independent producers. The genre can be entertainment or factual. Some recent co-productions are “Gigglebug” and “Albi the
Pre-buys and Acquisitions
Pre-buys can be made with Finnish and international independent producers. In order to receive a LOI from YLE, one needs a bible, an animation sample, 3 scripts and several
synopses. Recent pre-buys are “Harry and Bip”, “Ernest & Celestine”, “Ella, Oscar & Hoo” and “Rita and Crocodile”.
IPR.VC is a venture capital fund creating success stories in the creative industries by investing in intellectual property, in digital media, communications and entertainment.
- Founded in 2005 by Finnish animation producers.
- Receives its support directly from the Finnish Ministry of Culture and Education.
- Organizes and takes part in around 5 international events per year.
- Supports its members with travel grants.
FINNANIMATION MEMBERS ARE CREATIVE PRODUCERS
Finland is full of creative producers – over 60% of members are producing their own original content. With about 40 member companies in Finnanimation, there is a wide variety of sizes and specialties, pipelines and potential partners from boutique companies of less than 15 employees to Rovio, producer of the “Angry Birds” 2016 blockbuster hit.
SERIES ARE THE MAIN BUSINESS FOR 43% OF FINNISH PRODUCERS CURRENTLY
Finnish animation companies are primarily working in CG and 2D, but there is also a strong tradition of stop-motion and other animated mediums. In-line with the country’s tech-savvy reputation, Finnish producers are also early adopters and there are currently several VR and AR projects underway.
The animation scene in Finland has also been bolstered by the thriving Finnish game industry, which is attracting highly skilled animation professionals to the country and promoting skill diversity and cross-platform knowledge. Education is a growing area of interest for animation producers, with the establishment of accelerators and VC investment funds such as xEdu. Producers are working with and building on Finland’s reputation as the world’s no.1 education provider (Business Insider, 2016).
The Finnish partners of this Spotlight on Finland include: